Tuesday, March 31, 2009

What's Love Got to Do with... Anything?


During the Valentine’s hype, I went into a mall where a speed dating event was being held. I wasn’t there to participate, but to observe. It was out in the open so it was easy for me to snoop around without getting caught. I have to say, there are still some lame lines being thrown everywhere. I thought it was crazy because the whole point of speed dating for me is to set yourself apart from the rest of the thirty nine dudes. I was surprised at how cheesy lines find their way into the air.

That got me thinking. Since I got into marketing, I somehow developed this “sickness” of linking everything back to marketing and sales. So, here I was in a speed dating thing connecting everything to sales.

Sales is a lot about dating. I’m sure this statement has been said many times before. It might even be a cliché. Either way, I still think it’s an underrated example because after everything has been said and done, people still make the same mistakes. Sales associates still use the same predictable pitch; lovers still use the same stupid pick-up lines. People never learn!

As I observed the speed daters, I couldn’t help but close my eyes and cover my ears. The women were growing tired as the men kept on trying. There were 4 or 5 who stood out. They were smooth and cool and it was obvious that the women were digging them. Others were talking on and on about themselves. It was about being unique, doing things no one is doing.

I was walking in the same mall and saw a sign on a poster. It said, “PLEASE DO NOT READ!” So I went ahead and read the contents of the poster, the curious person I am. It was a print ad about eyeglasses. I didn’t notice it was posted on a kiosk that sold eyeglasses. Now, that is unique. That caught my eye in a second.

I’m not saying that daters should put a sign around their neck that said, “PLEASE DO NOT DATE ME.” I’m just saying it’s always fun to walk on the road not taken. Whether you fail or succeed is not the issue. Taking big risks may lead to big failures but on the other hand it allows one to enjoy big reward. The point is variety and innovation shakes things up. More of the unexpected and less of the cliché!

What does love have to do with anything? I’d say everything.


"Obviously everyone wants to be successful, but I want to be looked back on as being very innovative, very trusted and ethical and ultimately making a big difference in the world.” -Sergey Brin-

No comments:

Post a Comment